Over the past several months, I have written a series of posts based on sermons preached by Jeff Griffin, my pastor. Jeff Griffin is the Senior Pastor of The Compass Church in Naperville, Illinois. Jeff is a great preacher who loves the Old Testament and archaeology and often uses archaeological discoveries to illustrate his sermons. Jeff has been the Senior Pastor of The Compass Church since 2014. Jeff was a pre-med student at Wheaton College before he sensed God redirecting him into pastoral ministry. Jeff is a graduate from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
Jeff is one of those rare preachers who likes to preach from the Old Testament. It is hard these days to find a preacher who preaches regularly from the Old Testament. A unique characteristic of Jeff’s preaching is that he begins and ends with the text that serves as the basis for his sermons. As one who has taught the Old Testament for more than thirty years, I appreciate this way of preaching sermons from the Old Testament. I give Jeff an A+ for his sermons. It is an honor to cooperate with Jeff on this venture.
All the posts below are based on Jeff’s sermons. These posts on Jeff’s sermons follow a simple format: Jeff preaches the sermon first, then I write a post based on his sermon. My posts will serve as a historical background for Jeff’s sermons and his sermons will be an application of the content of my posts. A link to the video of each of Jeff’s sermons will be included with my posts.
SERMONS ON GIDEON
SERMONS ON NEHEMIAH
SERMONS ON ESTHER
SERMONS ON SAMUEL
SERMONS ON STANDING STONES
SERMONS ON THE LIFE OF JOSEPH
SERMONS ON DAVID
2. “David, The Worshiper – Singing a Song to God”
3. “David, The Giant Slayer – Great Things Through Ordinary People”
4. “David, The Military Leader – Taking the High Road”
5. “David, The Obedient Follower – Obeying God in Hardship”
6. “David, The Receptive Student – Listening to Wise Advice”
7. “David, The Subordinate – Respecting Authority”
8. “David, The Resilient Fighter – Finding Strength in God”
SERMONS ON JOB
1. Shattered: Finding Hope in the Book of Job
2. “What Is Going On? – Job 1–2 (The Prologue)
3. “Why Is This Happening?” – Job 3–37 (The Dialogue)
4. “How Can I Handle This?” – Job 38–41 (The Theophany)
5. “When Will This End?” – Job 42 (The Epilogue)
Emeritus Professor of Old Testament
Northern Baptist Seminary
NOTE: Did you like this post? Do you think other people would like to read this post? Be sure to share this post on Facebook and share a link on Twitter or Tumblr so that others may enjoy reading it too!
I would love to hear from you! Let me know what you thought of this post by leaving a comment below. Be sure to like my page on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, follow me on Tumblr, Facebook, and subscribe to my blog to receive each post by email.
If you are looking for other series of studies on the Old Testament, visit the Archive section and you will find many studies that deal with a variety of topics.