On this day of Thanksgiving, we bow our heads in thankful prayer to God for the many ways he has blessed our lives. With thankful hearts, we worship God for the abundance we have received from his hands and for his faithful love, a love we experience every day.
To celebrate God’s blessings and God’s goodness, I have adapted a selection of passages from the book of Psalms in order to express thanksgiving and praise to God for his love and goodness.
- We will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.
- Praise the LORD! We will give thanks to the LORD with our grateful hearts, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.
- We will give thanks to the LORD with our grateful hearts; We will tell of all His wonderful deeds. We will be glad and exult in the LORD; We will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
- With songs of praises we will praise your holy name; We will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good. For you have delivered us from every trouble, and our eyes have seen what you have done for us.
- We will come into your house with our words of thanksgiving; We will pay you our vows, those vows that our lips uttered and our mouth promised when we were in trouble.
- Come and hear, all you who fear God, and we will tell what the LORD has done for us.
Another Psalm that expresses gratitude to God is Psalm 100:
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
The Lord is good, his love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.
This is the reason that today we shout for joy to the LORD, the reason we worship the LORD with gladness; the reason we come before him with joyful songs.
Why should we give thanks to God?
Because the LORD is God.
Because the Lord made us,
Because we are his;
Because we are his people,
Because we are the sheep of his pasture.
Today we enter his gates with thanksgiving,
Today we enter his courts with praise;
Today we give thanks to him,
Today we praise his name.
The Lord is good. His love endures forever. His faithfulness continues through all generations. So, let the redeemed of the Lord say so.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and to your loved ones.
Professor of Old Testament
Northern Baptist Seminary
NOTE: Did you like this post? Do you think other people would like to read this post? Be sure to share this post on Facebook and share a link on Twitter so that others may enjoy reading it too!
I would love to hear from you! Let me know what you thought of this post by leaving a comment below. Be sure to like my page on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and subscribe to my blog to receive each post by email.